What is a Grader and where is it used?

Written by Neil McLeod

How Graders are used in Construction and Mining

The grader, also known as motor grader or road grader, is described as heavy-duty machine designed with a long blade that is used in different industry sectors. Graders are most commonly used in civil construction, roadworks and on mining sites for creating smooth and flat surfaces. 

Certain graders can operate multiple attachments, or be designed for specialized tasks like underground mining. In civil engineering, the grader's purpose is to "finish grade" (to refine or set precisely).

Read More Comments

Get skilled in 2019 & festive season greetings from CTT

Written by Admin Staff


It's nearly time to celebrate the festive season

& put on your red hat!


But there is still time to get trained for 2019!

Some of our instructors and train courses will be available

over the Christmas & New Year period (except public holidays) so check availability online

Read More Comments

Use your tax refund to invest in your future

Written by Neil McLeod

If you want to get a better job or move into an exciting industry such as infrastructure, construction or mining, we suggest using some of your tax refund dollars to upskill and invest in civil training courses and machine tickets.  

The more tickets and training you have, the better your job prospects and the more employable you will be. 

Start with a front-loader or excavator ticket from $495 and add other earthmoving tickets as you go.  

Read More Comments

How to upskill and save at the same time.

Written by Neil McLeod

End of Financial Year is just around the corner.


It’s a good time to review your finances, claim some tax deductions and plan for the next 12 months.

If you are looking for work or already have a truck licence, the more tickets and qualifications you have,

the more employable you are in a range of industries from : construction, logistics, transport, mining and even small business.


And the more you train, the more you can save.

Read More Comments

When don't I need a Licence?

Written by Neil McLeod

You must have the relevant high risk work (HRW) licence, unless:

  • the work is carried out while enrolled with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) completing training  for the relevant licence class and you are being supervised by a HRW licensed person
  • you have applied for the licence and are waiting for a decision on your application
  • the work is carried out at the workplace solely for the manufacture, testing, trialing, installation, commissioning, maintenance, servicing, repair, alteration, demolition or disposal of the plant or moving the plant within the workplace and the plant is operated or used without a load except when standard weight loads with predetermined fixing points are used for calibration of the plant
  • you are setting up or dismantling a crane or hoist and you hold the appropriate rigging licence
  • you are carrying our work with a heritage boiler.

Licences no longer required:

Discontinued licences that were previously issued by Workplace Health and Safety are:

Read More Comments

What licence do I need to operate a Telehandler?

Written by Neil McLeod

Telehandler / Manitou

The licensing requirements for a Telehandler differ depending on the attachments and the capacity of the plant.

A telehandler, otherwise know as a teleporter, or boom lift, is a machine widely used in agriculture and a range of industry.

Telehandler ticket will give you the skills to operate a telescopic handler or ‘telehandler’ and its attachments in a range of heavy lifting machine operator jobs.

Who needs a Telehandler Licence?

Telehandler operators use this versatile machinery for lifting and carrying materials in a range of industries including construction & infrastructure, mining/resources, transport & logistics and agriculture.

Read More Comments
Back to Top